Visiting somewhere in the United States? We have you covered.
If you're planning a trip to the United States, one thing you'll want to keep in mind is currency exchange. While many places in the US do accept credit cards, you'll likely want to have some cash on hand for smaller purchases and transactions.
The official currency of the United States is the US dollar (USD), and if you're coming from the UK, you'll need to exchange your British pounds (GBP) for USD before your trip. While you can exchange currency at airports and banks in the US, it's often more convenient to do so before you leave the UK.
By exchanging your GBP for USD before you go, you'll have one less thing to worry about when you arrive in the US. Plus, you'll likely get a better exchange rate if you shop around and compare rates from different currency exchange providers.
So if you're planning a trip to the United States, be sure to make currency exchange a priority and get your USD before you go. With the right preparation, you can enjoy your trip without worrying about money matters.
Pounds GBP to USD US Dollar exchange rate
Where uses the USD?
You may think that the USA is the only country using the USD but you would be wrong. If you are travelling to any of these countries you will need USD.
Ecuador, El Salvador, Zimbabwe, The British Virgin Islands, The Turks and Caicos, Timor and Leste, Bonaire, Micronesia, Palau, Marshall Islands, and Panama.
Also, don’t forget Hawaii is a US state so it also uses the American dollar.
The US Dollar is divided into 100 smaller units called cents. The most common denominations of US banknotes include the $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100 bills. These bills feature the portraits of famous American figures such as George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Alexander Hamilton, and Benjamin Franklin.
In addition to banknotes, there are also US coins in denominations of 1 cent (penny), 5 cents (nickel), 10 cents (dime), 25 cents (quarter), 50 cents (half-dollar), and 1 dollar (Sacagawea, Presidential).
Things to do in the USA while travelling
The United States of America is a vast and diverse country, with something for everyone. Here are some things to do while travelling in the USA:- Visit New York City - This bustling metropolis is known for its iconic landmarks, such as the Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building, as well as its vibrant arts and culture scene.
- Explore the Grand Canyon - This natural wonder in Arizona offers stunning views of the deep canyon carved by the Colorado River over millions of years.
- See the lights of Las Vegas - This entertainment capital of the world offers glitz and glamour, with casinos, shows, and nightlife.
- Visit the National Parks - The USA has many beautiful national parks, such as Yellowstone, Yosemite, and the Great Smoky Mountains, offering breathtaking scenery and wildlife.
- Experience the beaches of Florida - Florida is home to some of the best beaches in the USA, such as Miami Beach and Clearwater Beach.
- Go skiing in Colorado - This mountainous state offers some of the best skiing in the USA, with world-class ski resorts such as Vail and Breckenridge.
- Visit Hollywood - The home of the movie industry offers a glimpse into the glamour and glitz of Hollywood, with tours of studios and famous landmarks.
- Experience the history of Washington, D.C. - The nation's capital offers a wealth of historic landmarks, such as the White House, Lincoln Memorial, and Smithsonian museums.
- Go on a road trip - The USA is famous for its long highways and scenic drives, such as Route 66 or the Pacific Coast Highway.
- Enjoy American cuisine - American food is diverse and delicious, with regional specialties such as Tex-Mex, barbecue, and seafood.
These are just a few of the many things to do while travelling in the USA. With its diverse landscapes, rich history, and cultural diversity, the USA offers endless opportunities for adventure and exploration.
Get great rates when you buy currency with
Four reasons to buy travel money online with Click & Collect.
Why Choose Travel Money?