Visiting somewhere in Bulgaria? We have you covered.
Bulgaria is a great destination for travelers looking for a vacation that won’t break the bank. The currency in Bulgaria is the Bulgarian Lev (BGN), which is much cheaper than the British Pound (GBP). Sofia is the capital of Bulgaria and offers a variety of attractions and activities, from culture and history to modern shopping and nightlife. Varna and Burgas are two of Bulgaria’s most popular beach destinations and offer a great combination of cheap accommodation and plenty of activities. For those looking for a more expensive getaway, Bulgaria also has some luxurious beach resorts and city hotels. Whether you’re looking for a budget-friendly beach holiday or a more luxurious city break, Bulgaria has something for everyone.
Pounds GBP to BGN exchange rate
How far will my money go in Bulgaria?
Bulgaria is a great place to visit for those looking for a holiday on a budget. The currency in Bulgaria is the Bulgarian Lev (BGN), and although prices may seem expensive compared to other parts of Europe, it is still relatively cheap compared to other countries. For example, in Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria, you can find a meal for around 8-10 BGN, and a beer for around 2 BGN. When travelling in Bulgaria, cities such as Varna and Burgas are great places to visit, with plenty of attractions and activities to keep you entertained. If you're looking for a beach holiday, Bulgaria is also a great option, with miles of stunning coastline and plenty of affordable accommodation.
Coins: The coins in circulation are 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 stotinki, as well as 1 lev and 2 leva. The coins are minted in copper-plated steel, brass and bi-metallic compositions.
Banknotes: There are currently five denominations of banknotes in circulation: 2, 5, 10, 20, and 50 leva. The banknotes are made of high-quality paper and have various security features, such as watermarks, security threads, and holograms. The front of each banknote features a prominent Bulgarian figure, while the back depicts various Bulgarian landmarks and cultural symbols.
Things to do while travelling in Bulgaria
Bulgaria is a beautiful country with a rich history, culture, and natural landscapes. Here are some of our suggestions for things to do while travelling in Bulgaria:
- Explore Sofia: Bulgaria's capital city is filled with stunning architecture, museums, and parks. Visit the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, St. George Rotunda, and the National Palace of Culture.
- Visit Plovdiv: This ancient city is home to some of Bulgaria's best-preserved Roman ruins, including the Ancient Theater of Philippopolis and the Roman Stadium.
- Hike in the Rila Mountains: The Rila Mountains are the highest mountain range in Bulgaria and offer breathtaking scenery, hiking trails, and opportunities for skiing and snowboarding.
- Visit the Black Sea Coast: Bulgaria's coastline is known for its beautiful beaches, crystal-clear waters, and lively seaside towns. Some of the best places to visit include Sunny Beach, Nessebar, and Varna.
- Explore the Rhodope Mountains: The Rhodope Mountains are a range of mystical peaks and forests, home to the famous Devil's Throat Cave and the Yagodina Cave.
- Taste the local cuisine: Bulgaria has a rich culinary tradition, with dishes such as banitsa, kavarma, and moussaka. Be sure to try the local wines and rakia, a traditional Bulgarian brandy.
- Discover Bulgarian folklore: Bulgaria has a rich tradition of folklore, with colorful costumes, music, and dance. Attend a traditional Bulgarian festival or visit a local museum to learn more about this fascinating aspect of Bulgarian culture.
Get great rates when you buy currency with
Four reasons to buy travel money online with Click & Collect.
Why Choose Travel Money?